Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Freezing Herbs - Basil

Herbs are expensive! I'm either overpaying for not enough of them in a grocery store or buying them in bulk at a wholesale warehouse and purchasing way more than I will get a chance to use prior to them spoiling. Either way it's a waste of money or food. So I have started freezing fresh herbs in ice cube trays. The trays are awesome  because most of them make 1 oz cubes, perfect for baby food, herbs and concentrated liquids.


In the above picture I process about 8 ounces of fresh basil leaves and a 1/2 cup of olive oil. Then I spooned it into the tray. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and freeze. Once frozen pop the herbs out of trays and place in a  freezer bag or freezer safe, air tight container.  I use olive oil because when adding basil to a recipe, I'm typically adding olive oil as well. However, if you'd rather not use oil, pour a tablespoon of water into each section of tray, process basil or fresh parsley, spoon into trays, cover with plastic wrap and freeze.


No comments:

Post a Comment